05 March, 2012

Leaving Malmoe for Denmark.

This morning we are off again to Denmark. We got up early, because of course, Dick is now in work mode, which means he runs like a kangaroo from place to place. I heard him humming in the bathroom as he showered, turned over and slept another hour and when I awoke he was gone. I know he means well, but it is very annoying for him to run to breakfast without telling me and then if there is time he will go with me. In any case I got up, washed and finished packing the few things I have taken with me. He returned and I must admit I was pissed, but what can you do? If there is change it comes slowly.


We put all our clothes, shoes and toiletries in our suitcases (I only take a carry on) and at 8, I go down to breakfast. Dick comes and sits not eating, not drinking anything while I eat. So comradely, Then we quickly go up to the room and take a second look.  Under the bed, in the bathroom and out the door. When we checked out, I made a complaint. We arrived on Thursday night, and on Friday and Saturday the room was "cleaned?" The woman did not wipe down the counter tops in the bathroom, did not change the glasses, threw the bed cover on the floor and left everything as is. I had spent an hour making sure everything was tucked away so she could do her job, but alas to no avail.  Sunday the room was finally cleaned properly, but I noticed that a boss with a long list of duties was following the girls around. 


When I told the guy at the desk, the young man who made slighting remarks about the Spanish, he said they use a cleaning company and I laughed and said "wow, that's why."  Aside from Tina, who follows her people around, I have never seen a cleaning company who does a good job.  Why should they?  Their personal reputation is not on the line. But the Mayfair is a four star hotel and we had the deluxe room. One would think that the administration itself would look into how the company does its job. It is the hotel's reputation on the line not the cleaning company's. 


We walked to the station, which was about 10 minutes. We walked down an alley, and over a canal, where the thousands of bikes are parked, and into the station. This station is very different than other railway stations. There are sandwich shops, salads with seafood, noodle shops, all lined up like a market place. And behind all this is a supermarket with orange carrots, red and green peppers, all sparkling in the distance. It's a great place to eat on a Sunday. On top of all this a huge Starbucks, which opens from the outside and into  the railway station interior.


Unlike Denmark, which has their stations on one level and the tracks on a different level, each stair only accomadating two lines, which is bothersome of you have a lot of luggage and have to race up one stair and down the other. Here there are only the international trains underground and each track has an elevator and escalator.  So that is less stressful. 




No comments:

Post a Comment