23 January, 2013

Berlin

It has been a long time since I have blogged and I have no excuses. I always think if I'm not traveling then I shouldn't bore you with my day-to-day activities. However, I am told that my normal schedule is really no worse than other people's and sometimes better. 

We are in Berlin, the divided city during the time of the wall across Europe, the now capitol of Germany. It is a city which is being transformed as we speak.

The Berliners are a bit different than the average German in the West. They are just as sour sour looking, and bringing a smile to their lips has become my challenge. However, unlike the West Germans, the Berliners are helpful, even when not smiling. So who can complain. 

There are some interesting observations. It snowed about an inch of snow and the trams stopped, were late and just didn't function. I ask myself, why does a small bit of snow cripple a city that has never gone a winter without snow? Smoking is everywhere. Not in the stores, restaurants and coffee shops but certainly on every street corner, in front of every restaurant door, coffee shop door, at the tram stops etc. An airport, that Berlin needs desperately, was to open three years ago. It is still not finished and has pushed the final date to 2015. That is worse than India. Of course, East Germany is an underdeveloped area, but it is German. 




No comments:

Post a Comment