17 February, 2012

Leaving Geel

This was taken from our Patio.

I was able to take a couple of photos yesterday, but in the pouring rain as we were leaving.  I had forgotten how much it rains in this area. When we lived in Frankfurt the first time I kept track of the sunny days and, in two years, the sun came out 42 days or six weeks. Not much and it makes the inhabitants a little surly.


We were told we would get a ride to Brussels, but it wasn't in the cards. The professors were tied up with their students and other lecturers. We checked the train schedule and we would have to change trains twice in a normal 50 minute car ride. So we went by taxi, figuring out that between the two of us it would cost very little more in cash and a lot less hassle. Trains are getting more expensive every year.


We had had a wonderful lunch in Geel, salad, steak done to perfection and the best french fries I have ever tasted. Crisp and not at all oily. But it was too much food and I left half of it. The food has been very good, a real foodie country. Even the buffet at the the big dinner for the lecturers was served with great tasting food. So Belgium lives up to its reputation.


I slept all the way to Brussels and we arrived about three in the afternoon. It was overcast, dark and raining off and on. So I decided to take a nap before dinner. Yes I know, I'm sleeping a lot, but traveling tires me out, even when there is little pain. And when it's dark all the time, sleeping seems to be the only thing to do.





No comments:

Post a Comment