01 December, 2011

The Ship



The ship is the length of three and a half football fields. There is a jogging path at the top of the ship and all day people are walking and running around the deck.  There is a big fitness center with everything from spinning on bikes to yoga.  It’s open 24 hours a day.  So there is no excuse not to exercise. However it takes a lot of time to walk from one end of the ship to the other, thus just going to a meal is usually quite a walk.

There is a spa and massage center. I took the body 
massage and since then I have been in more leg and hip pain than before I boarded. There is even acupuncture but it is done by a 25 year old girl, so I have my doubts to its efficacy. Perhaps I’m being too picky.

There are at least four restaurants where what you
eat is included in the cost. The others range from $10 to $25 a head.  The most frequented is the Teppanyaki which has 20 seats around a hibachi where the chef cooks in front of you. Though the cooks are fun to watch, because they jump around a lot and make a lot of noise,  food is about average. I must admit the steak was the best so far on board.  However, the rice was not sticky and couldn’t be eaten with chopsticks.  The cooks were Filipinos, not Japanese.  There wasn’t a single Japanese customer in the bunch. I know from people in my family that the food was not up to Japanese standards.

People line up at the two main common restaurants, 
Aqua and Venetian. The cooks and the waiters are also Filipinos. Frankly, most of the workers on board come from the Philippines. Though the waiters are friendly, they are not professional: they interrupt when you’re talking,   if you smile ainnd listen to them, thy start telling you about their own lives. When I’m eating I don’t want to listen to some person’s personal problems.

More information later.

No comments:

Post a Comment