13 October, 2011

Porto's Cathedral


Today I was on my own and decided to visit the local cathedral.  I was impressed when I saw the outside, because it was simple and clean looking.  But when I walked inside I got a shock. The cathedral was obviously built in the Romanesque style; the pillars high and rounded, but everthing in the church was baroque, over the top. Except for the Baroque church in Florence, I had never seen a church so full of gold and silver.  It could help the financial crisis Portugal is in.

Se Catedral Porto

The Chapel















So much Gold.









The plain pillars and rounded arches, so Romanesque.
The size of these stones How did they place one on the other in the 12C?





However the cloister was decorated with the glazed tiles I talked about yesterday depicting the songs of Solomon.



No comments:

Post a Comment