22 May, 2010

Hamburg



Today is our last day in Hamburg. So far in the last two  weeks we have had one day of sun. Most of the time it rained, and especially in Poland, it was impossible to take photos.  However, I was able to get a number yesterday, and though it was overcast today, I took some more.

Before I put the photos up, I want to remark on the number of changes I've seen in the Germans since we lived here in 1986. The people are friendlier, and they smile more often. I have had impromptu conversations in restaurants, coffee shops and in shops. It helps that we speak German, but in the old days, the Germans acted as if they didn't like each other, much less someone from the U.S.

The prices are within reason, unlike Paris. A decent meal has cost us as little as 7-8 Euros and a decent bottle of wine as little as 13 Euros in a restaurant. Yes, the dollar is stronger than last January, but in terms of the Euro, things are  better here. Unfortunately the Germans are the only country with a strong enough economy to help the failing ones in the south, which I'm afraid may be their undoing.

There are a number of vegetarian dishes on every menu and the dishes are  more than adequate.

We went to an expensive restaurant and were terribly disappointed. The asparagus looked and tasted like milk with a few asparagus pieces and the risotto was runny. I suppose I should have looked for a great one on the Internet, but instead we went to Kneipes and Stubes and were perfectly happy. It reminded us of our youth when we sat in a small Stube, and I smoked a pipe to irritate the people in the bar.

I can say that I'm happy we've spent some time here.

Here is the one side of the railway station. It looks like the old side. Though in this case I am guessing.


This is the other side. One is called the Nordbahnhof and the other the Sudbahnhof. But they are both in the same building.






This is the Rathaus or the City hall. Dick and I were laughing because in German the City hall is called the Rathaus and in Danish it is called the raadhus.  Maybe this is supposed to signify the people who spend their time making laws etc for the country? I don't know, but it is interesting. Well, I know that Rat geben is to give advice.


Hamburg is a port city, so we needed one of these.


Here is the place we had lunch on the Alster Pavillion and there is a small view of the city.
 There is Dick giving great advice to our friends, family and any children who might be reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment